Location: Remote (Mexico preferred)
Reports to: HIPGive Tech & Product manager
Project/Area: Digital Philanthropy and Innovation
Start date: Immediate
HIP-LatinoAmerica A.C. is an affiliate of Hispanics in Philanthropy (HIP), a transnational network of grantmakers committed to strengthening Latino communities across the Americas.
HIP-LatinoAmerica A.C. is based in Mexico City and works closely with HIP to connect and convene funders, nonprofits, researchers, and other leaders to identify emerging needs among Latinos as well as best practices for responsive and effective funding of social change. HIP pioneers new philanthropic models by leading collaborative initiatives and has provided grants and training to help build the capacity of more than 800 organizations and leaders. In 2014, HIP created HIPGive—a digital platform that makes it possible to mobilize resources for social impact projects throughout the Americas. Through our suite of innovative tools including crowdfunding, permanent digital campaigns, peer to peer giving, and digital Giving Circles, people and organizations come together to create community and make an impact in our world.
The HIPGive Backend Consultant will report directly to the HIPGive Tech and Product Manager and will be responsible for the server side of our web platform and occasionally support the HIP's main platform (hipfunds.org).
The ideal candidate has excellent programming skills and a passion for developing applications or improving existing ones and is a proactive, creative, results-driven, flexible and positive team player who is passionate about HIP’s mission. This person is going to be able to develop and maintain a functional and stable platform based on the HIPGive’s needs.
- Participate in the entire platform lifecycle, focusing on coding and debugging
- Write clean code to develop new features and improve our platform
- Troubleshoot and debug
- Perform UI tests to optimize performance
- Manage cutting-edge technologies to improve the legacy
- Collaborate with Front-end developers to integrate user-facing elements with server side logic
- Configuration of infrastructure, networks and data backups
- Monitoring and statistics of server usage and system alerts
- Resolve incidents and attention to attacks
- Gather and address technical and design requirements
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use
- Liaise with the team to identify new features
- Follow emerging technologies
- Proven work experience as a backend developer with programming languages like NodeJs
- In-depth understanding of the entire web development process (design, development and deployment)
- Experience with database development including relational and non-relational database design mainly PostgreSQL
- Advanced understanding of version code tools, such as Git
- Software best practices architecture and development
- REST API applications
- Ensure that the platform has the best performance possible and excellent responsiveness
- Experience with agile development methodologies such as Scrum and Kanban
- Experience with debugging, performance profiling and optimization
- Experience with GoogleCloud Services
- Experience working in the nonprofit sector (preferable)
- Must be able to translate complex data and technical concepts to non-technical audiences and teams
- Ability to work across programmatic teams and languages
- Ability to prioritize and provide quick response
- Require attention to detail
- Participate in the entire application lifecycle, focusing on coding and debugging.
- Write clean code to develop functional web applications.
- Teamwork skills with a problem-solving attitude
- Excellent analytical and time management skills
- Willing to take risks
- Data driven person
- Coachable and ambitious: willing to learn, improve, and grow
- Ability to thrive in a highly collaborative work environment with virtual teams across the U.S. and Mexico, while also possessing the ability to work well independently with minimal supervision
- Fluent in English and Spanish preferred (HIP is a bilingual environment with a commitment to language access and justice)
- Commitment to open sourcing of information
How to Apply:
Please email the following materials to email@example.com Include your name and the title for this position (“Your name –HIPGive Backend”) in the subject line of your email.
- Thoughtful cover letter explaining why you’re the right fit for this role and organization, including your available start date (this can be in English or Spanish)
- 3 references available upon request during the application process
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with applications encouraged by April 20. Please note that due to a high volume of applicants, HIP will only contact candidates selected for an interview. Candidates whose applications do not complete the aforementioned requirements will not be considered.