Power Building & Justice Fund
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to apply for the fund?
Your organization must meet all of the criteria to qualify for the PB&J Fund
- Organization legally registered as a 501(c)(3) organization (or fiscally sponsored by a 501(c)(3) and operating in the United States, U.S. Territories, or Native American Reservations).
- Southern and/or Southwestern non-profit organization with work focused in one or more of the following states: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, Tennessee, and Texas.
- Organization led or co-led by at least a Latinx or BIPOC identifying staff (e.g Executive Director, President, CEO).
- Organization serving historically and currently under-resourced communities.
- Organization with an annual budget under $3million.
Can you share more about what types of organizations are eligible for the fund?
We especially encourage organizations with the below characteristics to apply:
- With predominantly Latinx and BIPOC staff
- With a Board of predominantly Latinx and BIPOC individuals
- Working with rural communities
- Networks in coalitions with other Latinx-led/BIPOC-led or serving organizations
- With operational budget under $3million, with a particular preference given to organizations with budgets under $1million
How do I apply?
HIP is excited to launch SmartSimple, an online grants management platform. All interested organizations can proceed to the SmartSimple landing page and register their organization: https://hiponline.smartsimple.com/s_Login.jsp. Please note, organization registration is required as a first time user of this system.
Webinars during the Request for Proposal open enrollment period will provide information on the registration process and setting up your organization profile; but feel free to submit your registration through the platform. All registrations will be reviewed and approved by the RFP launch date, Monday, February 14th. Any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is the timeline to apply?
- The application opens Tuesday, February 14, 2022 at 9:00am (EST)
- The application closes April April 29, 2022 at 8:00pm (EST).
Will there be webinars for interested organizations to learn more?
We are hosting three webinars on the following dates. Please register for the time that works best for you:
- Tuesday, February 15th, 2022 at 2pm (EST) >> REGISTER HERE <<
- Tuesday, March 15th, 2022 at 2pm (EST) >> REGISTER HERE <<
- Tuesday, April 5, 2022 at 2pm (EST). >> REGISTER HERE <<
Webinar programming will be identical, will be recorded, and will have Spanish interpretation available
How will applicants be selected?
- All applicants will be selected by a group of HIP advisors and the HIP Power Building Justice team.
How many applicants will be selected?
- We will be selecting 10 organizations as fund recipients.
If my organization has previously received HIP funding, do I need to prove eligibility for this funding opportunity?
- Yes, all organizations must confirm eligibility for this grant opportunity by answering “Yes” to all the eligibility questions in the application. A “No” response will deem the organization ineligible.
Is there any restriction on how the funding can be used?
- The funds will be unrestricted, general operating funds (or core support funds for fiscally sponsored orgs) and must comply with all 501(c)3 expense limitations.
Are there any lobbying limits on the funds?
- Yes, all funds are for c3 activities only, which will be explained in the grant agreement letter.
Is there a specific timeframe for the funds?
- The fund will start from the date of the signed grant agreement letter between HIP and the organization through Thursday, July 31, 2025.
Is there any preference between funding current work vs new work?
No, there is no preference in this area. The fund is meant to support work you are currently doing or plan to expand -not to create additional work for organizations.
Is sub-funding an option if we wanted to bring in another organization or two in our project?
- Yes, the funds can be sub-funded or regranted to meet the goals of the grant agreement.
Will there be any reporting requirements for fundees?
- One yearly reporting call.
- A final report (written or video format) by July 31st, 2025.
We plan to co-develop the final reporting structure with the participating organizations and key HIP personnel.
Should the proposed budget be the organizational budget or just the budget for the proposed scope of work?
- You will be asked to submit a copy of your most recent organizational budget and the project budget. [Note: The annual budget will not be required for future HIP funding opportunities. The annual budget is a one time request as you register your organization in SmartSimple.]
Will participating organizations be required to participate in HIP’s Capacity Building events?
- As part of the fund agreement all organizations will be asked to commit to 6 capacity building workshops and 2 events (i.e. one in-person and one virtual networking event) being conducted by Revolve Impact. The Capacity Building programming will start with an in-person kick-off event in July 2022 and conclude March 2023. We understand that organizations may not be able to attend all of the workshops. To accommodate this, Revolve Impact will upload all workshops to an online portal for organizations that cannot attend a session.
Will there be any in-person gatherings/travel?
- COVID permitting, we plan to have a two day kick-off event in July 2022 with 2 staff from each organization, HIP staff, and Revolve Impact staff. If an organization is not able to join in-person, we plan to find alternative, virtual methods of attending (e.g. streaming sessions).
Who can I reach out to if I have more questions?
- Please email Bayoán Rosselló-Cornier at email@example.com for any question about the fund guidelines, eligibility, or general questions.
- Please email Jessica Anzaldúa at firstname.lastname@example.org for support on submitting an application via SmartSimple. Bayoán will also be available for application submission support.