Power Building & Justice Program
Co-creating spaces of trust and building power across Latinx, Black, Brown and Indigenous communities.
We believe in supporting Latinx leaders and allies to create pathways for self, family and community and policy advocacy to lift up BIPOC movement building and civic engagement efforts across all levels, then our Latinx and BIPOC allied communities will begin to see their voices heard, their challenges elevated and community-led solutions prioritized. This will result in greater investment by diverse funders, well-supported Latinx Leadership pipelines, and more vocal, knowledgeable, and active community members who have the influence and power to create change together.
Through intentional investments of time, energy, financial support and disrupting traditional philanthropic practices on how to partner with Latinx-led, equity-centered organizations and movements, HIP seeks to co-create spaces of trust and solidarity across multiracialcommunities. These spaces will cultivate belonging, build power, and shape a multi-racial democracy that deeply honors and reflects the civic life of our communities.
Our north star is supporting systemic changes for equity that catalyze the engagement of communities to be aware of and able to access tools and resources to meet their needs and create changes. It includes: civic engagement, policy advocacy, community organizing, political education and a sense of belonging.
HIP has a unique vantage point at the intersection of movements, approaches, resources, and stakeholders. By fostering knowledge, surfacing issues, and conjuring new and innovative solutions, HIP raises and refines the course of philanthropic discourse and creates channels to move resources and learning into the hands of those remaking our society. This means that we are able to leverage not just money, but also our influence, reputation, and connections. Now more than ever, we are poised to continue growing and adapting in response to on-the-ground needs—toward a vision for a Latinx future that builds long-term power and creates bridges across racial, ethnic, and digital divides.
In particular, HIP brings:
– PSO perspective and ability to flex our funder engagement muscle to influence funding trends, emphases, and processes to make them more impactful, transparent, and transformative;
– Latinx-serving and Latinx-led expertise
– National and transnational footprint, experience, and sensibility
– Emphasis on funding general programmatic / operating support through a committed transparent, and trust-based grant-making philosophy
– Capacity building (i.e., digital tech movement building), training, and partnership support for NGOs of all sizes and scope to perfect their practice and increase their impact; and
– Ability to leverage dollars and amplify the voices of our community partners across multiple platforms as needed
December 14, 2022
Civil Rights Study Trip Reflection
In November, Hispanics in Philanthropy (HIP) & ABFE shared a week exploring the Civil Rights movement in a collective journey…
October 28, 2022
Investing $2.5M in Power Building & Justice Across South & Southwest
Over the last few years, there have been powerful, beautiful, and downright inspiring multi-racial movements that have grown from the…
January 26, 2022
Power Building & Justice Fund
Frequently Asked Questions Who is eligible to apply for the fund? Your organization must meet all of the criteria to…